HEAD OF COMMUNICATION & TEAM MEMBER OF THE MUSIC FESTIVAL 1st EDITION IN NEW YORK
Born in Brittany, the famous music festival has become a must-go destination, attracting each year 250,000 attendees, a line up of 60 artists and the support of 6,000 volunteers. To celebrate the 25th anniversary of the festival, the Brittany association of New York and the festival president and CEO Jean-Luc Martin and Jérôme Tréhorel launched its first edition in the United States in collaboration with BZH New York. As a core member of the project, I both led the digital communication strategy and supported the artist logistics.
What is Vieilles Charrues?
The festival started in 1992 with a small village fair in Brittany, France, gathering about 500 people and including not only music but also local outdoor games. The goal was to revive the economy of central Brittany, a region deserted by the younger generation in favor of the more attractive coastal region, but also Paris and New York. Today, Vieilles Charrues has become a destination festival, attracting 250,000 attendees, a lineup of 60 artists every year, and is supported by 6,000 volunteers.
On October 1st, 2016, the Vieilles Charrues team will take on a new challenge: a special one-day event to celebrate the 25th anniversary edition of the festival in Central Park – Summerstage, New York.
#VCNY16 goal was to attract New Yorkers and to bring the festival home to the many Bretons from central Brittany who emigrated in the tri-state area in the ‘60s and ‘70s.
Music Festival – Key Figures:
- Overall budget of 13 million Euros.
- 4 days of festival.
- 1,285 artists have performed over 24 years.
- 250,000 attendees in 2015, including 12,127 VIP guests.
- 150 partners supporting 20% of the expenses.
- 6,000 volunteers per year.
- Over 8 million website visits in 2015.
- Over 300 articles in 2015 in French national and regional newspapers, as well as national and specialized magazines, interviews and coverage on mainstream French radio & TV channels.
Communication plan – Key results:
- More than 4,000 attendees in Summerstage – Central Park (sold out)
- 3 social media platforms: Facebook, Instagram & Tumblr
- Facebook Campaign: organic reach up to >100,000 users per social post
- Website: >30,000 unique visitors, >10K MUV each month
- PR: Over 100 articles in 2016 in French and American newspapers, magazines, interviews and coverage on mainstream radio & TV channels (New York Times, The Voice, Time Out, Le Parisien, France TV, TV5 Monde…)
- Promo videos with up to >50,000 views